OK, so I got downsized.
Worse, I really, really, really didn’t want to go back to Corporate America. I had enough time off to realize that there had to be a better way. I wanted to have a LIFE and make money at the same time, but was there a way to have both and have success from home?
At the time, very few people that I knew actually worked or were successful from home. The people I knew that didn’t go to an office were either artists, or actors, or people that owned service businesses. The other people that didn’t go to an office were unemployed.
That was almost 10 years ago, and my how times have changed. The US Department of Labor estimates that by the end of this year, the #1 employer in the United States will be “SELF.” A huge percentage of self-employed people now work from someplace that is not an office-place – typically from home. If that many people are working from home, that tells me that there is plenty of ways to get success from home.
What Does it Take to Have Success From Home?
There isn’t any way anyone could have success from home by sitting on the couch eating Doritos. Just won’t happen. We all know that?
But, what does it really take to be successful out of a home office.
It’s probably not what you think.
Success From Home Must-Have List
Here’s the list:
- Habit – Get up at pretty much the same time every day. Do some personal development first thing – every day. A better you = a wealthier and healthier you. Get in the habit of doing your income-producing activities at a certain time every day. Every day.
- Tribe – Make sure that you’re connected with a tribe of like-minded people that support you in your success from home, or whatever else you decide you want to create in your life.
- Personal Responsibility – Everything that happens to you– good and bad – is your personal responsibility. Blame or accolade no one but yourself. These are the choices you’ve made – this is the life you’re living. Accept the consequences of your actions – both good and bad. This is a terrific way to live powerfully.
- Learn – You do NOT know ANYTHING. I know, that’s a bold statement, but just understand that you will be going in a new direction, so let go of all your previous things you “knew” and open up to learning from others.
- Find a Mentor – This is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT in the list. There is nothing that will accelerate the pace of your business more than simply finding someone that has walked before you and already has success from home. Tap into their knowledge. Do what they tell you to do. No excuses.
Success from home is within anyone’s grasp. In Nike’s words, just do it.